Saturday 24 March 2012

Timber!

The weather was just lovely today; starting off cool and crisp and then becoming warm and sunny by lunch time. James and I had some errands to do in town, and I got him the watch that I have been wanting to get him for his 50th birthday, which he likes very much. We then had a pleasant lunch in Cranachan in Princes Square. When we got home Ally and Davie were sitting in the extension with the doors wide open to the garden. I was delighted, it's the first day this year that it has been mild enough to do that. James got my much loved hammock out of the garage for me and I had a coffee and read my current book for a while in it (Ramshackle by Elizabeth Reeder, who I saw at Aye Write). Meanwhile James, Ally and Davie decided to fell the conifer outside the kitchen window. It has become far too big and was blocking views of the garden from the house. The three of them worked away and finally there was a cry of "Timber!" and the tree fell - partly on top of my hammock, which luckily I wasn't in at the time. Then they cut it all up and took it down to the dump. Amazingly one of our forks was found under the roots. It must have been there a long time because the tree roots had twisted it round into a strange shape. Ally said he remembers digging in the earth with forks when he was a tiny boy! A useful and pleasant day. I love being around the house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment