Monday 18 May 2020

Cooking and Baking

As a recently signed up vegetarian (that’s three months now) I have been concerned that my vegetarian meals would seem like a poor second best to what James, Ally and Davie were tucking into. For example, James and I pride ourselves on our delicious chilli con carne, which we make using a recipe that we have been using for the past thirty-five years. I don’t want to be watching the boys scarfing it down while I’m eating a completely different meal, no matter how tasty. I don’t mean that my vegetarian meals always have to be the exact equivalent of a meaty meal, but sometimes it’s nice to have a similar look or theme.
So this afternoon I spent a bit of time concocting a vegetarian chilli. I used M & S vegan mince, which is made with seasoned soya protein. It has a good texture and browned nicely before being added to the onions, tomatoes and kidney beans. I was very pleased with the results; it really had the taste and texture of our chilli con carne. I had made plenty so was able to divide it into portions for freezing. I also made kedgeree for dinner for James, Ally, Cat and Davie. It turned out well although for some reason the rice took ages to cook.
Cat decided to bake cupcakes in the evening, I think that I have mentioned before that she is an excellent baker. She had noticed that we have rather a surfeit of lemons at the moment, so she made lemon and blueberry muffins. Oh my goodness, they are delicious! I had one after watching “Grayson Perry’s Art Club” * and it was bursting with flavour.

* I am loving this quirky wee art programme, which is aimed at helping us get through the lockdown through creating and enjoying art. It’s particularly of interest to me because I have been doing a bit of drawing recently. It’s interesting as well as fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment