Tuesday 19 May 2020

Nature Walk

I received a book today that I ordered recently, called “What’s that flower?” It is intended to identify wild flowers, so James and I went for an afternoon stroll down to the Clyde Walkway to try it out. We successfully identified wild garlic (we knew what that was already so it was a good way to check that the book works) and also common comfrey, which we saw in both white and pink. We spotted some creeping cinquefoil and saw lots of giant hogweed, which James warned me not to go near because it’s poisonous. We saw broom and gorse, and lots of hawthorn trees in beautiful full bloom, their branches heavy with white blossom. James is so knowledgeable about these things and told me lots about plants and trees that we saw on our walk. As we were scrutinising a delicate pale lilac flower, a cheerful lady passed us on the path and called out, “I think that’s a cuckoo flower!” We checked our trusty flower book and she was right! I enjoyed our nature walk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment