Saturday 16 March 2013

Hair, lunch and film

I had my hair cut this morning at my usual place, the Rainbow Room in town. I was looking at the fashionable young hairstylists as they bustled about the salon. As with many species the males are a lot more flamboyant than the females. One young man was wearing a bunnet just like the one my Grandpa used to wear, although unlike my Grandpa he had long and apparently uncombed hair sprouting thickly in all directions from under it. Another young man was wearing a bright yellow skip cap worn forwards and high on the head with hair short at the back but with an abundance of thick curls at the front along the lines of an eighties pop star. As for their clothing, skinny jeans, denim jackets and brightly coloured trainers seem to be de rigueur. The girls were much more muted both in hairstyles and clothing.
James and David were going to meet me for lunch after my haircut but I received a horrified text from David when he arrived in town and found that TGIF - his favourite restaurant in the world - is closed! Fear not, it is not closed forever, just for refurbishment. When I told my hairdresser and her colleagues about this unexpected problem, they recommended instead the new Zizzi's, which has been open for a couple of months in what was the back of Borders bookshop. Our table was upstairs and James pointed out that we were sitting in what used to be Borders cafe where we spent some pleasant coffee times over the years. It has all been refurbished but the basic layout with its balcony is still the same and it was strange to realise it! I got up to look around and one of the staff asked me if I was all right - I must have looked bewildered!
After lunch we did some useful and necessary shopping and then we decided to continue our Oscars weekend by seeing Lincoln, which was on at ten past five at Springfield Quay. When I say "we", David came along under duress; I thought it would be a better experience for him to come with us rather than play rubbish computer games at home so I bribed him with Ben & Jerry's ice cream which did the trick! The audience seemed quite elderly - I wonder if this was because of the subject matter or the early showing! I thoroughly enjoyed the film and Daniel Day Lewis was excellent as the weary but twinkly eyed Lincoln. I liked that he was portrayed as a very good man but that he was reluctantly prepared to bend the rules in order to get the right outcome. I also liked his anecdotes which reminded me of my Dad! James on the other hand thought that it was too reverential and a bit pompous. David thought it was "a wee bit boring" and that it confirmed his opinion that a lot of Americans are racist, but that he was glad that he had seen it.
After banging on in my post yesterday about film makers messing about with history, and because I am not knowledgable about the events leading up to the abolition of slavery in 1865, I have checked up on critics' views of Lincoln's historical accuracy. Some critics have felt that some points have been exaggerated or over-simplified, but have not contested its general accuracy so I am satisfied that it passes the Susan "spirit of the truth" test! 

No comments:

Post a Comment