Friday 28 April 2017

Reflections on an expedition

I'm just home from a Duke of Edinburgh expedition and it went really well. We camped at Auchengillan, a place I have seldom seen without my view being obscured by torrential rain. However this time the weather was kind to us; we had a mixture of sunshine and clouds with just a couple of very light showers yesterday evening. We even saw a beautiful rainbow arching over the Campsies. It was a good temperature for walking; neither too warm nor too cold, although quite a few of us developed very rosy cheeks due to the sunshine. The pupils were great - it was a Bronze Practice so potentially there could have been a lot of mistakes and anxiety. However, apart from a few navigation mistakes, which are to be expected at this stage, the pupils were really good-natured and coped with the walking, camping and cooking extremely competently. 

I was pleased with the amount of exercise that I got too, and the leader group all had a laugh as we chatted around the campfire. I woke up cold in the tent a couple of times during the night, despite wearing my thermal undies as well as all of my clothes! I am so tired now, and I am blogging from the lovely bath that James has run for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment