Wednesday 12 April 2017

Brightening

"Brightening" is a term which Alison uses when being optimistic about the weather, and is an apt description of how we felt this morning! We woke to a dry and breezy day so after breakfast we set off to walk to the nearby Kirkaig Falls, a walk of about 7 km there and back. We reckoned that the waterfall would be particularly torrential today after all the rain, and we were right; it was spectacular, crashing down the rocks. The gentle path uphill had turned into a small stream so my boots started to get a bit damp, even though James has waterproofed them recently. James and Alison walked on a bit while Hugh and I started back towards the car. As we descended the hill I lost my footing and stepped into a huge puddle of mud; I toppled forwards like a felled tree. Hugh nobly tried not to laugh and helped me as I struggled to pull my left leg out of the quagmire; it was so caked in mud that it felt much heavier that my right leg! However there was no harm done and luckily I had a pair of spare socks in my rucksack! Back at the cottage James cleaned my boots (rather grumpily I thought) and stuffed them with newspaper to help them dry.

After lunch the weather was still fine so we went out for another, shorter walk to Leitir Easaidh, which is an easy "all abilities" path suitable for wheelchairs. I really liked the fact that people in wheelchairs can use this path to get fantastic views of the surrounding lochs and mountains. Another lovely evening in the cottage followed this great day - I was well pleased with my healthy walking. How long my boots will take to dry remains to be seen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment