Thursday 15 November 2012

I make a Christmas cake

I'm very excited because I have just made a Christmas cake for the first time in a long time. I have been trying to think when I last made one, and I think it might have been the Christmas after we got married which was twenty-seven years ago!
Our home economics department is running a series of after school sessions for teachers to bake and decorate Christmas cakes so of course I rushed to sign up. However I had to miss the first session on Monday because I had a meeting after school, so one of my colleagues very kindly weighed out the ingredients for me and soaked the fruit. Today we had to mix the dry ingredients with butter and eggs and treacle, then add the fruit and mix it all together. We all had a good laugh while we were doing it!
We took the cakes home to bake them and I have just taken mine out of the oven after 1 hour 45 minutes. It looks good and the skewer comes out clean when I stab it. After several weeks of feeding it with booze I will take it back into school to decorate it in December.
Meanwhile James has also been baking. Sometimes when we have a backlog of bananas James makes a banana loaf which is absolutely gorgeous. So the house is full of very nice baking smells just now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment