Monday 21 May 2012

Jack likes the summer

I emerged from work today into an absolutely beautiful evening, so when I got home I put on the dinner and then sat outside in the garden. James was mowing the grass and Jack was lying on the gravel just outside the French windows absorbing the sunlight into his fur. Jack looked so happy, he is a real sun-worshipper. Many times this winter and spring I have seen him looking sadly through the windows at the rain, trying to steel himself to go outside to do the toilet. But today he was loving being outside and when I sat on the bench he came over and jumped up on my knee, which is very unusual because when he is outside he prefers to see himself as a big jungle cat and keep his distance.
I was writing the other day about how the french windows make me appreciate the garden more, and in fact I think they bring the garden almost into the house! As I write this there are various wild creatures walking or hopping around only a few feet from me. There is a great big grey pigeon with a white collar at the back of its neck striding around on the slabs. There is a grey squirrel eating some left over pizza on the bird table. There is another, smaller and darker grey squirrel running around under the trampoline. And there is a brown bird which I think is a female blackbird on the wall. Earlier on there were two magpies and a starling as well. I feel like a Spring watch presenter sitting here! You might wonder what the bold Jack is making of all these tasty visitors to his garden. Well he is sitting on the radiator inside, watching them but clearly with no intention of seeing them off the premises.