Saturday 19 May 2012

Candy Apple Red

Well here I am at the beginning of a sunny Saturday evening and I must say that I have had a tremendous weekend so far. James is away climbing - this weekend is Miriam's last Munro - and I was very happy to be left to my own devices. Yesterday was busy, busy, busy and at the end of the day I had to return a pile of rucksacks that we hired for our recent expedition. This would have been straightforward if I hadn't idiotically missed a turning that I know very well and had to drive round and round until I was back on track. Having divested myself of the rucksacks and had a friendly chat with one of my old walking chums, I headed back to school to do some admin before going over to Jackie's for a curry. Before we ordered it we watched a broadcast on television of the Olympic torch arriving in Britain for this summer's Olympics. David Beckham, Seb Coe and Boris Johnson were interviewed and it did feel like quite a special event. We had a delicious curry - I will definitely be going back to Danny Singh's - and a lovely chat that went on a lot longer than either of us realised! Jackie has become a true friend. When I got home the boys were still up, playing with their computers, and waiting for me was my replacement Kitchen Aid mixer! I knew that the old one (I had chosen a colour that didn't match my worktop) was being collected this morning, but I did not dream that the new one would be delivered so quickly! All credit to the firm I ordered it from - Harts of Stur - for excellent service! As soon as I saw it I knew that Candy Apple Red is the colour for me - I love it!
This morning I had a long lie and then Ally asked me to drive him over to his school to collect his saxophone which he needed for a gig this evening. However when we got there the place was absolutely deserted and we couldn't get in. I was wondering whether I would be able to hire a saxophone for Ally at short notice, when he phoned his friend Dougie and it turned out that his friends had already collected the saxophone for him! What a wild goose chase! And we had to drive through football traffic both there and back which made it more than an hour round trip! The reason for the football traffic was that today was the Scottish Cup final at Hampden between Hibs and Hearts. After Ally left for his gig, which is at some golf club in Ayrshire, Davie and Kyle watched the match on television. They were very happy when Hearts won 5 - 1. Meanwhile I decided to do a bit of rearranging in my kitchen to accommodate my new mixer. An afternoon of pleasant domesticity followed and I am delighted with the results. It's not that I don't enjoy James' company, but sometimes I do like to do my own thing at my own pace. I played my music and pottered around to my heart's content, carefree and uncriticised. And my kitchen all clear and gorgeous with my new toy in pride of place!