Saturday 16 March 2024

The Clyde Valley with Gran Jan

I had a really lovely lunch and afternoon out today with Gran Jan, my Dad’s cousin. We had been going to have lunch in Bothwell as usual, but at Janet’s suggestion I picked her up and we went for a run along the Clyde Valley for a change. First we went to the Rosebank Garden Centre where Janet insisted on buying me a tasty lunch, and we had a browse around the shop. I also bought a rose bush called “Absolutely Fabulous” for part of Forrest’s birthday present (the other part is a voucher for Alpaca Trekking, inspired by our experience last Tuesday.) I know that the roses will smell great because it’s the same fragrant yellow rose that we saw in Tralee in Ireland last June, which James then purchased for our own garden. 

Janet then suggested that we go to another garden centre just above Garrion Bridge which has an antiques section. It was really interesting, firstly because it had lots of things like teasers and figurines that were very familiar to me from my Mum’s and Grandma’s houses, and secondly because the prices were very good. I resisted temptation but might go back some time for another look. Janet pointed out some washboards whose scrubbing surface was made of glass and demonstrated how to use them; I’m sure that my Grandma’s washboard was made of wood and metal. Back at Gran Jan’s house we had a cup of tea and more chat. I really like Janet, and I enjoy her stories about her life including her youth in Coatbridge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment