Thursday 7 March 2024

An Officer and a Gentleman - The Musical

It was with the usual mixed feelings that we set off south to Glasgow this morning; sorry to leave the cottage but glad to return home. I do find it a bit confusing to divide myself between two locations. We had done all of our cleaning and packing the day before, so the cats had forgotten their suspicions by the morning and it was a very calm departure for all of us; by the time that Tom and Floof realised that we were about to leave we were carrying them out to the car. As is usual on the way south, James drove the first part on the more windy roads towards Inverness so that Flora could sit on my knee; this prevents her from being sick. We stopped briefly at HIS (Highland Industrial Supplies) in Inverness because James needed to exchange an ashes tray that he had bought for the fire in Cambulang. Flora went into the cat crate without protest and the journey went smoothly. In the evening I met Heather for dinner at Antipasti in Pitt Street before we went to the King's Theatre to see An Officer and a Gentleman, the Musical. It was a great deal of fun; the cast were great and although it did not have an original score it used various 80s songs that were appropriate to the plot. By the end we all cheered and sang along as the young officer appeared to carry his girl out of the factory! We had to move seats at the interval because the people on both sides of us were so “circumferentially challenged” (as my old colleague Des used to say) that they were literally overlapping into our seats! Luckily there were some empty seats in the row behind us. Interestingly, the lady in front of us had an emotional support dog with her. I know that these are used nowadays but it's the first time that I have seen one. She was lifting it up to let it lick her face, which I think is disgusting, my parents never allowed us to do that when we had dogs in the 1970s because it's not hygienic. I don't doubt that a very few people genuinely need support animals, but I suspect that many others have simply leapt into the bandwagon. Heather commented, "Now I've seen it all!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment