Saturday 23 March 2024

Worried about Flora

I have been very worried about Flora. She has been vomiting on and off for about a week and didn’t seem to be keeping anything down. This inevitably reminds me of my beautiful Jill who died from a tumour in her intestine in 2010. Her symptoms were also vomiting. I really hope that Flora’s sickness is not serious. We took her to the vet on Monday and she got an anti-nausea injection, and some bland gastrointestinal pouches of chunks to take home. I will cast a veil over the unearthly noise she made when she got her temperature taken with an anal thermometer! She was then sick a bit less but she barely touched the special food - she was hungry though because she kept trying to get to Tom’s food, which we kept away from her. 

Back at the vet on Friday, before we travelled to Ullapool, Flora was given two medications; an anti-emetic and a laxative or should I say “Laxapet!” They are easy to administer because we crush the (quarter) tablet into a centimetre long squeeze of the laxative, which is like toothpaste. And here’s the beauty of it, we don’t even need to insert the medicine between Flora’s clenched jaws; it suffices to smear it on her chops and then she licks it off herself! The (hopefully) good news is that there has been no more vomiting for the past twenty-four hours and she is definitely doing poos - I know this because at Ullapool we have a cat litter tray because we don’t have a cat flap, so I can literally see the evidence! I wonder if her collapse in October, probably due to constipation, could be connected to this current seemingly digestive issue? Could it be hairballs causing a blockage, or a sluggish bowel? I really really hope that this treatment has solved the problem and that she has no serious underlying health issue. She certainly seems to be on good form. 

No comments:

Post a Comment