Wednesday 31 May 2017

Loud and clear

The holiday weekend was very pleasant. James and I had a lovely evening at Heather and Ewan's on Saturday and then went for a walk in the Pentland Hills on Sunday, checking out my routes for this week's Duke of Edinburgh expedition. It was very warm (a bit too warm for walking in my opinion!) but the views of the hills and reservoirs and fields were beautiful.
On Monday I chilled out at home with Davie and Chanel, and then in the afternoon I took Grandma to her hearing appointment at Stobhill hospital. This proved to be a resounding success (pun intended)!
There were no other patients in the Audiology department at all - I think this was because it was a bank holiday so I don't know why Grandma had been sent an appointment for that day. Anyway it meant that we got seen straight away which was excellent. The audiologist was a lovely young man; he told me that he did a B.Sc in Biomedical Science and then a post-grad in audiology. When he tested Grandma's hearing aids it turned out that one of them was completely broken and that both of the wee plastic tubes which connect the hearing aid to the earpiece were well out of date and had become hard instead of flexible, which means that they just don't work. No wonder Grandma couldn't hear properly; she should have been going for regular check ups. I will make sure that this happens from now on. The audiologist gave her a completely new set of hearing aids and then programmed them to her prescription by connecting them to the computer. It was amazing. Grandma's hearing was much better and she could hear everything that we were saying, even when the audiologist stood behind her to ask a question. He then gave me information on how to clean and maintain the hearing aids, and how and where to book the regular check ups. We went for a celebratory cup of tea in the hospital coffee shop before heading home. Grandma was really happy, and I was very pleased for her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment