Thursday 3 January 2013

Fantastic skiing

Today I wanted to ski to St Colomban des Villards because I hadn't been there yet. The weather was absolutely gorgeous; back to blue skies with no clouds at all. The snow-covered mountains looked amazing, there are no superlatives adequate to describe the views. I did my best to drink it all in as I skied down beautiful runs and went up in chairlifts. The way to St Colomban des Villards was spectacular; we took lifts up to l'Ouillon and then skied for miles and miles down into St Colomban which was in a lovely valley way down at 1100 metres. Even though it was low (Le Corbier is at 1550 metres and the highest runs are at 2600 metres) there was still lots of snow there. The runs varied from steep and quite challenging reds (although luckily for me they were uncrowded - I hate busy pistes) to long blue paths following the curve of the mountain where we could just point our skis straight and go for it. I loved it. Jamie, Ally and Davie skied with us but also went off to do extra runs or some off piste and then caught up with us again. They seem to be having a great time and enjoy regaling us with tales of their exploits; there also seems to be a running joke of Jamie stealing one of Davie's ski poles and Davie chasing after him using one ski pole like a paddle! Just above St Colomban there was a cute wee restaurant called Café du Coin where we all had coffee and hot chocolate. Then we set off back to Le Corbier which took a surprisingly long time due to having to take lots of lifts. We had a late lunch just below Pointe du Corbier in a restaurant with brilliant views over both La Toussuire and Le Corbier and then James and I decided to call it a day while the boys went off to do some skiing off piste. I am amazed and gratified at how well my knee has lasted this week - in fact the most it has hurt was this afternoon when I was knocked over by a snowboarder and twisted it just before lunch time. I yelled so loudly in fright and pain that the poor snowboarder was very alarmed and apologetic! It was sore but I kept on skiing - well I didn't have much choice since I was high above Le Corbier at the time!
Later on James and I went for a drink at the hotel bar which was very pleasant, while the boys made dinner. I feel so sleepy right now with all of today's exercise and fresh air and my full tummy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment