Friday 2 October 2020

Grandma’s Kitchen

James and I spent all day at Grandma’s today, doing a final clean before the new people get the keys on the 12th. I have to say that James had already done a huge amount of work in emptying and cleaning the house, but kitchens and bathrooms are my speciality so I brought my cleaning materials and got stuck in. The kitchen is at least 30 years old, so the new people will probably want to replace it very soon, if not straight away. This made me feel nostalgic; I remember when it was installed how excited and proud of it Grandma was. It was state of the art, with an eye level Neff cooker and grill which was very new in those days, and the brand new units and induction hob and sink all looked so smart. 
It now looks very old-fashioned, but still in good condition because Grandma always took good care of her house. I just wanted to give it a thorough spruce up, and James gave the oven a proper clean. By the time we were finished I was happy that it is ready for the handover. But I felt a bit sad; thirty years ago I never thought about this day coming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment