Monday 8 July 2019

Wimbledon, ice cream and bent coppers

Grandma and I have been enjoying watching Wimbledon on the television over the past week. I always think that the tournament has a summery feel. This year the new star is fifteen year old Coco Gauff, who stormed though to the last 16 with a combination of talent and determination. Inevitably she was knocked out in the fourth round today by the excellent Simona Halep, who is much more experienced. However I’m sure that Coco Gauff has a great future ahead of her. It was indeed a very busy Wimbledon “manic Monday” with lots of great singles matches - big names like Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, Rafa Nadal and Serena Williams got through to the quarter finals.
James and I made coconut ice cream this afternoon which turned out very well. I had attempted to make it on Saturday night with creamed coconut instead of coconut milk powder and it was a disaster with a strange after-taste. Luckily we tasted it before serving it to our guests so we changed the dessert at the last minute. But I had made some lovely lime syrup to go with it and we didn’t want it to go to waste. So this time we made it with coconut milk powder as specified (it’s the recipe from Delia Smith’s Summer Collection) and it tasted lovely. We ate it while watching the last episode of Series 5 of Line of Duty, which brings us right up to date with this popular police detective programme based in an anti-corruption unit. We came late to the party so have watched all of it over the last few months. The plots don’t bear too much scrutiny but it’s very entertaining, especially the anguished head of the unit, Ted “I still love my wife” Hastings. He is played by Adrian Dunbar whom I well remember as the young hero of the delightful 1991 film “Hear My Song.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment