Saturday 13 July 2019

Summer tennis

It’s so warm and summery. When I looked out of the window of my study upstairs this morning I was struck by the sheer abundance of greenery in our back garden and our neighbours’ gardens. Every tree and shrub has its full summer foliage and therefore looks twice its normal size. It looks delightfully lush. Needless to say I leaped straight into my hammock after our morning walk, and I persuaded Flora to join me. However we were both disturbed by a very strident blackbird who flitted about the high branches of the pear tree. It was definitely shouting in shrill beeps rather than singing, and James thinks that it was threatening Flora. He said that it only makes that noise when Flora is in the garden and that he has seen it jumping down behind her on the grass in a mocking and aggressive manner.
After lunch I trotted along the road to watch the Wimbledon Ladies final with Grandma. The tennis was great but, unlike the mighty battle of the mens’ semi-final between Nadal and Federer yesterday, Simona Halep dominated from the start and Serena Williams didn’t really stand a chance. Grandma and I both enjoyed the match.
I have been dividing the rest of the afternoon between relaxing in the garden and doing some leisurely cooking for our guests this evening. And of course blogging! 

No comments:

Post a Comment