Monday 30 January 2012

Journeys back in time

I was a wee bit disappointed with the second part of the BBC adaptation of Birdsong; I didn't think it was as true to the novel as the first half. It seemed to rush through the plot a bit, a few things happened differently from the book and it missed out some important parts such as Weir's sexuality and his relationship with his father, and the complexity of Isabelle's character and her relationship with Max. On the other hand the battle and tunnel scenes were well filmed and I did enjoy it - just not quite as much as the first half, which was outstanding.
I'm reading a really weird book just now which Jamie bought for his Kindle and thus shared with me. It's called "Time's Arrow" by Martin Amis and it's about a man's life told in reverse order - even the dialogue is in reverse order, and so is eating, bodily functions, he takes things to shops and is given money for them etc. "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" has the character aging backwards but time going forwards, whereas this novel is completely backwards. It's very disorientating to read! It is not completely original though because I distinctly remember reading a science fiction short story which includes the regurgitating etc as people start getting younger (my Dad had a huge collection of science fiction short stories which i devoured as a child). This takes the backwards idea a lot further though, with relationships beginning at their endings - which means they get better and better! I'm only half way through but due to the timescales and the protagonist's profession I'm pretty sure that I have guessed where it's heading. Jamie was very enthusiastic about it, and while I would never have chosen it myself I am finding it very interesting.
James' Mum has a new favourite programme, which she asked to watch with us when she was round for dinner last night. It is called "Call the Midwife" and is set in London's East End during the 1950s, based on the memoirs of a real midwife. It is good quality but pleasantly easy to watch, in the fine BBC tradition of programmes like "All Creatures Great and Small" and is full of drama and births - right up my street for a Sunday night! Needless to say I was delighted (and James was horrified) that we will be watching this on Sunday nights. 

No comments:

Post a Comment