Saturday 14 January 2012

On the train to Darlington

I am very excited to be blogging from the train because I love train journeys and have many happy memories of them over the years. I am on train from Glasgow Central to Plymouth, I wish I was going the whole way because I have never been there and it would be a tremendous rail journey. I am in fact going to Darlington to meet Jamie, who is on his way north from Nottingham to Glasgow. It is a journey of about five hours, and then after collecting various belongings, he will have another hour and a half drive to Dundee, so I am going to share the driving and keep him company. Needless to say, Jamie feels no need for this but I'm still his Mum and I think the journey is a bit too much for him to do alone. I got a row in the train, along with the other passengers in my carriage, for sitting in the wrong seats! I had reserved a seat, but I moved to a better one which was not reserved. However the ticket inspector said that this just leads to confusion. He also gave a stern warning to three young girls about not making noise (it was a "quiet" carriage), which was a bit unfair because they were not making any noise beyond quiet conversation! I think he was suspicious of them because they are young! This was a very bonding experience for me and my fellow passengers and we all pulled faces after he left the carriage. So now I am eating my delicious Marks and Spencer lunch and reading my book, what fun!