Tuesday 10 October 2023

Yayoi Kusama’s Infinity Mirror Rooms

We were due at the Tate Modern at 12.45 today, so we decided that we had plenty of time to walk the 7 km from Westferry. I was finding it a bit hot for walking so I suggested that we cross to the south side of the river, which is more shady in the morning. My timing was good because we were just approaching Wapping Underground Station, so we took the tube under the river to Rotherhithe. What a beautiful (and pleasingly shady) walk we had along the river to Southwark. There were some pretty little pubs and historic places, such as the poignant statues of “Dr Salter’s Daydream” which featured a realistic cat. I have never walked along that stretch of the river before. Eventually we arrived into familiar and busy territory at the Golden Hind and Clink Street, and continued past the Globe to the Tate Modern. We were just in nice time for our time slot to see Yayoi Kusama’s Infinity Mirror Rooms. No spoilers for anyone going to see them, but if you like mirrors and lights you will love this exhibition! And I did like it, although I was somewhat bemused by it too. Our tickets included lunch in the Bar & Kitchen on the 6th floor and, since I hadn’t really cooled down yet from my walk, I was absolutely delighted that the restaurant was air-conditioned. It also had splendid views across the river to St Paul’s Cathedral. We relaxed over a delicious lunch and I gradually cooled down until I felt completely comfortable. 
And then it was time to start on our journey home. We took a river ferry all the way back to Canary Wharf; the journey was really lovely in the sunshine. We only had a short journey to City Airport which was nice and quiet, as was the plane. We arrived home to a very rainy Glasgow, however it was great to see the kitties. Flora seems very well after being looked after by Davie, Chanel and Angela. 

No comments:

Post a Comment