Sunday 27 March 2016

A bit of sunshine

It was a very stormy night and the windows of the hostel seemed about to burst open in the high winds. Luckily I quite enjoy that and it made me feel all the more snug in my wee bed. We also lost an hour of sleep due to the clocks going forward into British Summer Time. However I woke well rested and refreshed to a bright morning. Again we all breakfasted and went our separate ways to various mountains and hikes. Today I headed into the village of Applecross (actually one of the information boards says that Applecross is not just one village but refers to a series of tiny hamlets along the peninsula) and up onto the hill behind it. I stopped on the way for a coffee in the pub; how very pleasant and relaxing to sit down for 15 minutes and do nothing at all, not even talk. From the hill I was treated to beautiful views of the bay in sunshine - until a heavy shower of rain swept in and sent me scrambling to get my waterproofs out of my rucksack. I took a track named Keppoch which curved round above the bay and descended through woodland to the Walled Garden restaurant where I treated myself to another coffee and dried off beside the cheerful wood burning stove. 
A few hours later, I was back there for a lovely dinner with the rest of the group. The weather has been very mixed but what a good weekend with great company.

No comments:

Post a Comment