Sunday 13 April 2014

Alasdair Gray at Aye Write

Heather and Ewan had asked me a couple of months ago if I could book our annual outing to Aye Write because the tickets would come out during their holiday in America. It was with a great sense of responsibility that I scoured the brochure to book some interesting authors. Actually my choice was limited by available dates (we were away last weekend) and suitable times, so I didn't have too much difficulty plumping for veteran writer and artist Alasdair Gray at 4.30 p.m. on Saturday, which would give us time to have something to eat before going to see Frankie Boyle talking about his favourite books at 7.30 p.m.
The venue was as usual the Mitchell Library and we had a quick coffee there before the first event. Alasdair Gray is rather a hero of mine because I found his book "Lanark" to be initially very challenging and ultimately absolutely brilliant. It really is a masterpiece. My other interest in him is that he was at Glasgow School of Art at the same time as my Mum, and she told me that he once danced with her. He is nearly eighty and has a very endearing and self-deprecating speaking style, I enjoyed his talk about people who have influenced his life.
At the end we joined the queue to buy his book "Of Me and Others" and get it signed; I was keen to speak to him so the others kindly offered to go ahead and order our curry at Mr Singh's. The queue moved rather slowly but when I eventually reached Alasdair Gray I summoned up my courage and asked him if he remembered a compliment that he had paid my Mum which I thought was about alabaster and honey (I presume referring to her pale skin and blonde hair).
"Oh yes", he said, "but I said "marble and honey", and I went on to use the description in my book Lanark." He said that he did remember Mum who was tall and blonde, and her smaller dark-haired friend. I then asked him if he had said the same thing to other girls. "No," said Alasdair Gray firmly, "only to the one girl." He then explained that he had danced with Mum at his first Art School ball in 1952; he felt that she and her friend were toying with him by paying him attention but that he had rather enjoyed it. He told her while dancing "You are like marble and honey." and she said "Am I?" He then asked me if she had died and when I said yes he said "Damn it, it keeps happening."
He was so sweet and pleasant to me, and I was amazed that he remembered my Mum so well. He signed his book, which I will give to Jennifer for her birthday, with a lovely dedication which I will not write on my blog yet because I want it to be a surprise for her.
I rushed round to join the others for our curry and apologised for my lateness but they were all very excited for my about what had happened. The curry was absolutely delicious; it's a top restaurant and the staff were very friendly.
Back round to the Mitchell Library we went to see Frankie Boyle. He was interviewed by a BBC Scotland reporter about his five favourite books and I enjoyed what he had to say. I felt that he found the format a little unusual and sometimes veered into his more usual "stand-up" style he was entertaining and I will check out a couple of the books that he recommended, in particular the biography of Philip K Dick. We repaired to the Black Sparrow for a couple of drinks and a chat before heading home.
It was a perfect evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment