Wednesday 26 October 2011

We need to talk about Kevin

This evening I went with my EK book group to see the newly released film of the Lionel Shriver film, We Need to Talk about Kevin. Because I had loved the book and knew it well, it was hard to judge how the film is, because it was impossible not to make comparisons. Some episodes from Kevin's childhood, which I thought helped to build up a picture of Kevin, were left out. The chillingly predictive imagery was a bit heavy-handed. The bloody climax was not shown, just inferred, and although it would have been gory I thought it was very important to the plot. All in all I wish the director, Lynne Ramsay, had allowed the story to tell itself a bit more. Having said all that, I thoroughly enjoyed the film! The actors were all excellent and it made sense to set the film two years after the climax with the main character remembering events in flashbacks. I also enjoyed being at the GFT and going to Fazzi's for a meal with the girls after the film, it was great fun.
The boys had their own fun yesterday. Brian very kindly gave us tickets to see Ayr United play St Mirren in the Scottish cup. James, Ally and Davie went along and met up with Kyle and Christina who were also there. They were delighted when Ayr won 1 - 0 five minutes before full time and came home full of the joys! 

No comments:

Post a Comment