Tuesday, 4 August 2026

Ally goes to Ukraine

James and I have been enjoying a quiet time in Ullapool, enjoying the house and garden, sitting outside on the benches with the cats a lot. I have been doing some watercolour painting. 
Ally and Cat have been on holiday to Slovakia; Andrew joined them and then Cat went home while Ally and Andrew continued into Poland.
Ally had told us that he and Andrew have been planning to do a day trip to Ukraine while they are in Poland, but I wasn’t sure exactly when. Today I was thinking about it and I sent him a message to ask if he had been there yet. He messaged straight back to say that he was in Ukraine right now, having lunch in the beautiful city of Lviv. As Ally’s mum, I must admit that I’m not thrilled to think that he is in a war zone but he is 32 years old and it’s not my place to tell him what to do. Lviv is in the west of Ukraine and does not get a lot of attacks but they still do get some shelling at night. However Ally and Andrew were there during the day and all went well. He messaged us again later to let us know that he was safely back in Poland. He found the Ukrainian people to be very friendly, but you could see signs of the war; there were windows sandbagged as were many of the statues around the city. Lviv did look lovely with elegant buildings and squares. I was glad to hear that he was back in Poland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment