The fires in the Gironde region at their worst caused a "pyrocumulonimbus" - a giant fire thunderstorm fuelled by its own winds and lightning. There is a smoky haze over Bordeaux and even eighty miles east of Bordeaux at Jennifer’s house in Lot-et-Garonne the air smells smoky. However although it is still burning, the firefighters in the area seem to be containing it so Bordeaux is not immediately under threat.
I was sorry to hear that my favourite Goody, Bill Oddie, has died. Although I liked the other two as well, in fact they were all my favourites. The Goodies was such a great programme in my childhood memory.
I have done so much batch cooking that the freezer in the garage is just about full, so today James and I decided to go on a northerly expedition to the Rockstop Café near Scourie and then Lochinver. However at the turn off to Kylescu we came across two hitchhikers, a mother and son from Germany, who were heading to Durness. So we decided just to take them there instead! They were very pleasant; the mum, Katya, is a chemical geologist and the son, Anton, is still at school. We drove through the beautiful Sutherland scenery with James pointing out the mountains like an proper tour guide, and as we arrived in Durness a mummy duck and six ducklings crossed the road in front of us, it was very sweet. There was even less of Durness than I remembered. After we dropped Katya and Anton off, we had a light lunch at Coco Mountain in the hippy dippy craft village and then went for a walk along Balnakiel Beach. It’s a gorgeous beach with a broad swathe of white sand, and the weather was blowy but sunny. The mountains and lochs were spectacular on our way back to Ullapool.
I was sorry to hear that my favourite Goody, Bill Oddie, has died. Although I liked the other two as well, in fact they were all my favourites. The Goodies was such a great programme in my childhood memory.
I have done so much batch cooking that the freezer in the garage is just about full, so today James and I decided to go on a northerly expedition to the Rockstop Café near Scourie and then Lochinver. However at the turn off to Kylescu we came across two hitchhikers, a mother and son from Germany, who were heading to Durness. So we decided just to take them there instead! They were very pleasant; the mum, Katya, is a chemical geologist and the son, Anton, is still at school. We drove through the beautiful Sutherland scenery with James pointing out the mountains like an proper tour guide, and as we arrived in Durness a mummy duck and six ducklings crossed the road in front of us, it was very sweet. There was even less of Durness than I remembered. After we dropped Katya and Anton off, we had a light lunch at Coco Mountain in the hippy dippy craft village and then went for a walk along Balnakiel Beach. It’s a gorgeous beach with a broad swathe of white sand, and the weather was blowy but sunny. The mountains and lochs were spectacular on our way back to Ullapool.
No comments:
Post a Comment