Wednesday 26 June 2024

A Gneiss place to sit

On Monday James and I decided that with temperatures predicted to reach the dizzying heights of 20 degrees C, it would be good to spend the day at Achmelvich Beach. We set up the deckchairs near the water beside one of the outcrops of Lewissian Gneiss that surround the beach. The expected blue skies didn’t arrive and there were only patches of blue amongst the clouds; however it was still very warm and I went into the sea for a swim. The water felt cold as I went in, but not as cold as I have experienced in the past at Achmelvich, and once I waded out of my depth and started swimming I felt great. I swam up and down for about 25 minutes and it was excellent. The water was a gorgeous green colour over the pale sand and I noticed that James had moved round to keep an eye on me. He often does this when I’m swimming outdoors which I appreciate. I slowly dried off in my dry-robe sitting in one of the deckchairs feeling very cosy, and read my book. My book is the Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle, and I have been reading it for ages because it comprises about four novels and many short stories. Davie has recommended it to me; he got me started with A Study in Scarlet which is the very first story featuring Holmes and Watson. I’m enjoying it; the writing is excellent and almost timeless. The stories are clever and humorous, the character of Sherlock Holmes is charismatic. I’m surprised that I have never read any of the Sherlock Holmes stories before, but better late than never! 

No comments:

Post a Comment