Tuesday 29 August 2023

My twa Janets

Today was a day of two Janets, and I felt quite proud of myself for bringing them together. The first Janet is my Dad’s cousin, Janet McDougall née Russell, aka Gran Jan and the second is my lovely cousin Janet. 

Janet had not been in touch with Gran Jan since my Aunt Margaret died in 2013, within a week of Gran Jan’s sister Anne, who was born a couple of weeks before Aunt Margaret and was her close friend. They must both have been ninety-four years old, and who could have guessed that their lives would start and finish at almost exactly the same time? So Janet had spoken to Gran Jan around that time, but not since, and she was very interested that I had met her (through her granddaughter and my neighbour Suzy) and was keen to meet up with her again too.

Janet drove to my house and then I drove us over to Bothwell to Gran Jan’s house. What a blether we had, and it turned out that both Janets were named after my grandma Janet Russell née Hamilton (auntie and grandma to Gran Jan and Janet.) I found this to be rather moving and I was almost in tears when I saw that both Janets were wearing identical signet rings given to them by the Janet whom they were named after *

After lunch at the Chapterhouse we went back to Gran Jan’s house to look at lots of photos of mutual ancestors, most of which I hadn’t seen before. It was amazing. Janet was very confused that one of Gran Jan’s middle names was Lindsay, a family name from our Grandma’s side of the family (i.e. not Gran Jan’s side of the family) indeed Janet was quite vehement about it! But it was all good-natured and we had a fine afternoon of family reminiscence. 


 * In my cousin Janet’s case her Mum actually bought the ring but her Grandmother Janet was there to help to choose it - the two rings were exactly the same with engraved initials. 

No comments:

Post a Comment