Tuesday 8 June 2021

Paddling at Findochty

We are spending a few days at Alison and Hugh’s before heading back to Cambuslang. The weather is beautiful and today we went for a walk from Portessie (just east of Buckie) via Findochty* to the Bow Fiddle sea arch beyond Portknockie, and back - about 16 km. These are a few of a series of little fishing villages on the Moray Coastal Trail and are all very attractive, with the houses built gable end towards the sea to protect them from storms. They are certainly not tourist villages, which I presume is the way that the residents want it; despite being very picturesque they don’t have a café or a gift shop between them! I was torn between wishing that there was a nice wee place to sit and have a cool drink, or applauding them for keeping themselves quiet and peaceful.
It was hard to imagine any storms lashing the villages today; it was very warm, the sea was a beautiful deep blue and the sky was blue with lots of high clouds. Of course walking on such a warm day made me overheat, and I decided to stop at Portknockie and postpone viewing the sea arch to another day! I cooled down in the shade while James, Alison and Hugh  walked onwards, and I ate a refreshing apple. I then set off back to Findochty where I went paddling from the sandy beach; the sea was warmer than I expected and there were wee minnows darting about. There were lots of orange rocks dotted about the bay. James, Alison and Hugh arrived soon afterwards and very kindly agreed to collect me after they finished the walk so that I could keep on paddling. Despite my early finish I had still walked more than 10 km. After I dried my feet on the sand and grass, I strolled up through the village to meet them at the post office. They were all very tolerant - they have seen me overheat before. It was a lovely day. 
Later, after cool drinks back at the house, we walked into Nairn town centre for dinner at Olly’s which is a great restaurant; the food was excellent and the staff were very friendly.

* Findochty is actually pronounced Finechty, which I only know because Alison and Hugh told me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment