Wednesday 16 June 2021

Spa Day and Baby Shower

Last Friday I set off to Manchester by train in order to have a spa day on Saturday with Chanel. I had given her a spa day at Mottram Hall for Christmas and she gave me the same present for my birthday so that we could go together. We provisionally arranged the date a couple of months ago, hoping that Covid restrictions would be lifted in time, and luckily they were! 
So I bought a coffee and a pain au raisin and had a peaceful journey, relaxing and reading my book. Chanel very kindly picked me up from the station and we went out for a fabulous Italian meal at Puccini’s. The next day was spa day and it was excellent. We made full use of the facilities including two swimming pools, a sauna, jacuzzis, and a grassy outside seating area. This was especially good because the weather was perfect - it was really warm with not a cloud in the sky. A lovely lunch was included and it was a great day.
Back at Chanel’s we had a takeaway dinner and watched comedy on television - Chanel showed me stand up by James Acaster whom I hadn’t seen before and I thought he was very funny. On Sunday morning I headed north on the train again. 
However this time it wasn’t so peaceful. It got very crowded after Carlisle and there was no social distancing at all - I was the only person wearing a mask at my four-seated table (and no train official arrived to enforce the masks rule.) Every seat in the carriage was occupied, and most people were shouting and drinking lager. It was all quite good-natured but it was loud and hot, and the train had to stop a couple of times to reset the cooling system. When I arrived back at Glasgow Central I was very hot and also late for Carolyn’s baby shower, which was about to start.
To make up a bit of time I jumped into a taxi to get home quickly, and then after a very quick shower I drove to Shona’s house to join the baby shower. It was such a friendly, fun afternoon, a really happy occasion, and we sat in the garden which was cool and comfortable. Carolyn looked great; it’s only four weeks until her baby will arrive. Shona had made a delicious buffet including lots of her fantastic cakes. 
It was a truly lovely weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment