Saturday 3 March 2018

A satisfying Saturday

I don’t usually go swimming at the weekend, however today I set off for the swimming pool instead of going for a walk because my feet are painfully blistered after the last couple of days of wearing my snow boots. Unfortunately when I arrived I was informed that the pool is closed every Saturday morning for swimming lessons. I decided to try my luck at Blantyre swimming pool instead, and this worked out well. They also have a twenty-five metre pool, and although it was partly roped off for lessons, it wasn’t too busy and I was able to have a good swim.
When I got home James and I spent the afternoon doing some batch cooking with the ingredients that we bought yesterday. There’s something intensely satisfying about batch cooking. We made two meals, both old favourites - Catalan pork stew and Boeuf bourguignon. We made four times quantities which means that we have lots of delicious home made meals in the freezer. It’s also a very companionable activity and we chatted away as we peeled and chopped and seared and stirred. 
Having missed our “mid-week film night” because of all the snow, we went to the cinema in the early evening to see the much praised “Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri”. We both enjoyed it, and it had some very good moments, although I found some of the plot was a bit unbelievable. It is very hotly tipped for this year’s Oscars, which take place tomorrow, however despite its originality I’m not sure if it deserves to win. If it was up to me I think that would choose Darkest Hour or even The Shape of Water.
When we got home we had some of the Boeuf bourguignon for dinner and it was delicious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment